Friday, July 16, 2010

BUDGET BELLE: Oil of "Oh, Heyyy!" (Bad Pun Alert)



Oil. It seems like I’ve been talking about that a lot lately. Suntan oil. Oily skin. Oily hair. Well, guess what? Not ALL oil is bad. In fact, I’ve been testing out a new (to me) hair product for a few weeks and I’ve come to a conclusion: Oil is my friend. I love it. My hair is ridiculously shiny and healthy – so much so that people have stopped me to comment on how amazing my hair looks. No, I’m not referring to the bottle of canola oil in my pantry. What am I raving about? Moroccanoil.

I know people have been using oil on their hair for years, but it’s not something I thought about as a beauty product. I’ve heard tales of people using olive oil or whatever oil they have around the house as a deep conditioning treatment, but it never made me want to grab my bottle of EVOO and start drenching my hair. Well, I am now an oil convert.

Now, I’m not suggesting you take a bottle and start dousing yourself. Just a few drops of Moroccanoil on the ends of your damp hair will suffice. I like to pour a few drops into the palms of my hands, rub my hands together to warm the oil up a bit and then run my fingers through the bottom of my hair. Take note, just use the oil on your ends – using it on your scalp is counterproductive, as your roots are the oiliest parts of your hair as it is.

Why do I love Moroccanoil so much? First of all, it smells amazing (picture tropical beach with coconuts and a daiquiri – ok, maybe the daiquiri is just for my sake). Second, the oil leaves my hair hydrated, soft and breakage free. And don’t even get me started on the shine – there is so much shine going on here that it looks like a Pantene commercial.

The downside? It’s a little on the pricey side. Though a 3.4 ounce bottle should last a few months, it runs around $35 on amazon.com. You can try the .85 ounce bottle for about $13 or see if a salon in your area carries the product and will let you try a sample.

From what my hairdresser told me, argan oil is a similar product and costs quite a bit less. I can’t really speak to its benefits or downsides since I haven’t tried it, but if you’ve tried argan oil, I’d love to hear what you think. I plan on looking for some at my local drugstore as soon as I run out of Moroccanoil and will conduct my own experiment to see if the products really are comparable. As always, I’ll update you with my findings.

2 comments:

  1. I *love* Moroccan oil and use it religiously after every wash, particularly to length (not so much roots, since new hair doesn't really need it and it can get greasy if near the scalp.) My hair salon uses MO products, and the mask is also a wonderful product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip on the mask! I'll see if I can get a sample to check it out.

    ReplyDelete